Free Consultation
Very High Success Rate. Call 909-890-2350 or 951-218-4083
for consultation

Requirement for claiming adverse possession of estateAdverse possession is a legal terminology that allows a person to gain ownership of someone else’s land or real estate or estate by occupying and using it openly, notoriously, exclusively, and continuously for a specific period of time. This principle is intended to incentivize the productive use of land and prevent properties from lying unused or abandoned.

Helping Clients in San Bernardino, Riverside County and Entire Inland Empire

Call Us: 909-890-2350

In California, as in other jurisdictions, there are specific requirements that must be met for adverse possession to be legally recognized:

  1. Actual and Exclusive Possession: The person seeking adverse possession must physically possess the property openly and exclusively. This means that their use of the property should not be in secret or shared with the true owner.
  2. Open and Notorious Possession: The possession must be apparent and not hidden. It should be obvious to the true owner that someone else is using the property.
  3. Hostile Possession: The possession must be against the interests of the true owner. “Hostile” in this context does not necessarily mean hostile in the aggressive sense, but rather that the possession is without permission from the owner.
  4. Continuity of Possession: The occupation and use of the property must be continuous and uninterrupted for the statutory period. In California, the required period is typically five years.
  5. Payment of Property Taxes: In California, the person seeking adverse possession must also pay property taxes to the county on the property during the entire period of adverse possession. This requirement shows the person’s intention to claim ownership.

However, this doesn’t provide guarantee that adverse possession will succeed as there are other aspects as well.

It’s important to note that the laws regarding adverse possession can be complex, and they vary from state to state. Also, adverse possession cases can be legally contentious and may involve court proceedings. If you are dealing with a potential adverse possession situation, it’s strongly recommended that you consult with a qualified real estate attorney who is familiar with California law. Laws can change, and legal advice tailored to your specific situation is crucial.

In California, as in other states, the process involves filing a legal action to quiet title, which is a lawsuit aimed at establishing a person’s legal ownership of a property.

Helping Clients In Amboy, Redlands, Yermo, Fort Irwin, Baker, Temecula, Palm Springs, Indio, La Quinta, Hesperia, Victorville, Apple Valley etc. in California

Call Us: 909-890-2350

Or you can Contact Us through the following form:

Contact Us

When Adverse Possession can be claimed?